Monday, 4 November 2013

Saudi Arabia reports another death from coronavirus

has reported a fresh death from infection with Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), the (WHO) said Monday.
In its latest disease outbreak update, WHO said the 56-year-old woman with underlying medical conditions was from the eastern region of Saudi Arabia, Xinhua reported. She became ill Oct 26 and died Oct 30.
She had contact with a previously laboratory confirmed case, according to WHO.
Globally, from September 2012 to date, WHO has been informed of a total of 150 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with MERS-CoV, including 64 deaths.

Qatar sees first MERS case among expats

A 23 year old male expatriate was recently diagnosed with the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), the first case recorded in Doha which involves a non national. It is the seventh case to date registered according to the Supreme Council of Health (SCH).

However, the expatriate exhibited no MERS symptoms but had contact with another MERS patient, and was diagnosed carrying the virus by doing the routine testing.

MERS is not common in Doha, though cases might increase as the winter influenza season starts. The symptoms of a regular flu and MERS are relatively similar, and could include breathing difficulties, fever and cough. Read more...

False alarm over suspected new MERS infection in France

Paris — A patient suspected of having contracted the MERS coronavirus has tested negative for the lethal respiratory disease, France's health ministry has announced.

The ministry had initially said Tuesday that a person who had just returned from Saudi Arabia, where the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) first appeared in September 2012, was likely infected by the virus.

But in-depth tests on the 43-year-old patient revealed that they had not been infected.
"The two cases identified in May 2013 are therefore the only two confirmed cases in France so far," it said in a statement. Read more...

MERS-CoV Claims Four More Lives

The Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has claimed four more lives, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Oman saw its first laboratory case confirmed, while the other three were from the eastern region of Saudi Arabia.

Since September 2012, WHO has been informed of a total of 149 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with MERS-CoV, including 63 deaths. Read more...

Coronavirus snuffs out another life

A 56-year-old Saudi woman has died of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus in the Eastern Province, bringing the number of deaths in the Kingdom to 49, and 53 globally.
The Ministry of Health (MoH) said 125 cases of MERS had been reported from various parts of the Kingdom.
Five new cases were reported in the Eastern Province last week and two people died during this period, the ministry official said, adding that all the patients were suffering from some chronic disease or the other, and majority of them were above 50. Read more...

Oman reports first MERS-coronavirus case

(Reuters) - Oman has reported its first case of the deadly MERS coronavirus, local newspapers said on Wednesday, the fourth Gulf Arab country where the strain has been found since it emerged in Saudi Arabia last year. Read more...

WHO confirms four more cases of Middle East virus

(Reuters) - Three more people in Saudi Arabia have become infected with the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) coronavirus and one has died, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday, and it also confirmed the first MERS case in Oman. Read more...